We can connect our Clappia apps to Google Sheets so that all submissions get synced to Google Sheets in real-time. The connected Google Sheets get updated on the following events:
1. New Submissions
2. Submission edits
3. Status change
4. Submission deletes
5. Bulk upload of data
Here are the steps to connect Clappia apps to Google Sheets.
1. Open the Clappia app in Edit Mode.
2. Go to the Configuration tab (2nd tab)
3. Click on the Google Sheets button.
4. On the right panel, turn on the “Connect to Google Sheets” option. This will take you to Google Account authentication. Sign-in to your Google Account, authorize Clappia to write data to the Google Sheets and you are done.
5. On the Configuration tab, click on Show Google Sheets option to view the connected Sheet. Existing submissions of the app will also get sync’ed to Google Sheets and all submission events after this step will also update the Sheet in real-time.
- Google Sheets can support upto a maximum of 5,000,000 cells. So if a Clappia App has 10 fields, then every app submission will occupy 10 cells and so upto 500,000 submissions will be accommodated in the Google Sheets. The number of supported submissions will keep reducing as the number of fields in the app increase.
- On disconnecting the Google Sheets once, the Sheet is deleted from the user’s account and on connecting again, a new Sheet will be created. So it is not possible to pause the sync by disconnecting for some time and then connecting again.
- If there are any changes in the structure of the app, like field additions/removals, Google Sheets need to be disconnected and connected again. This is because the Header Row of the Sheet gets fixed on the initial connection and it never changes.
- If you want to create more sheets that have dependencies on the connected Sheet, it is advisable to do so in a separate Google Sheet, not as a sub-sheet of the connected Sheet. You can use the IMPORTRANGE function to do this. Otherwise you run into the risk of the entire sheet getting deleted if an App Admin disconnects the Google Sheet from the App.